I’ve had this Roasted Chicken Noodle Soup recipe from Cooking Light magazine for years (actually October 1996) and it’s my absolute favorite. It’s different than a typical Chicken Soup Recipe, as it uses leftover chicken instead of starting with a raw chicken to make a broth. This makes it the ideal way to use up leftover Rotisserie Chicken meat.
I gave this recipe to my sister Elise with the note that “my search for the perfect Chicken Noodle Soup had ended”. She has made it, probably more times than I, for herself, sick children and friends. Giving someone a container of homemade soup is an act of love.
While Chicken Noodle Soup is great when you’re sick, it’s also wonderful to eat on a chilly, or rainy, Fall night for dinner. Add a loaf of hot bread with butter and, nirvana! This is a pretty easy recipe- the hardest part is chopping the veggies. You could use a food processor to expedite this step. I sometimes add corn kernels to this recipe, for a little crunch.
Two notes on this soup: Make sure you cook the potatoes until tender (no one likes a hard potato) and it’s best to cook the egg noodles separately and add to the soup before warming up to serve. Otherwise, the noodles suck up the broth and can become mushy.
Also, I didn’t have poultry seasoning, so I made my own (sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, nutmeg) with an All Recipes recipe. These are spices I don’t use very often, so I’d rather make use of them before they lose their freshness.
Let me know what you think about my Holy Grail of Chicken Noodle Soups.
The Best Chicken Noodle Soup RecipeCourse: SoupsCuisine: Comfort FoodDifficulty: Easy
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
4 cups diced peeled baking potato
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups diced leftover chicken
4 ounces (2 cups) uncooked whole egg noodles
Fresh Thyme (optional)
1 cup evaporated milk
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add chopped onion, carrots, celery and garlic; saute 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour, oregano, thyme and poultry seasoning over vegetables and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, potato and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered 25 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Add roasted chicken, milk and noodles and cook 10 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Garnish with fresh thyme, if desired.
- Add corn kernels for crunch, if desired.
- If you don’t have fresh thyme, you may substitute another herb, like parsley.
Up next: Amal Restaurant Review
2 thoughts on “The Best Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe”
So happy to have this!