So the big game is just around the corner. Who’s playing? Who cares! For me it’s all about the food and the commercials. Did you know that the Super Bowl is one of the highest calorie-consuming meals of the year? This recipe is not low-calorie, but it is a crowd-pleaser! My step-daughter Emma loves it. You can “skinny it up” by using low-calorie Ranch dressing and Light Cream Cheese (Neuftachatel). I don’t recommend low-fat Cheddar cheese on top, however, because it really doesn’t really melt like real, high-fat cheese.
This is a pretty easy recipe, so you can put it together at the last minute or make it ahead (except the last step), like I did. If you already have leftover chicken on hand, the longest part of this recipe is the baking- 20 minutes before adding shredded cheese on top, 10 to 15 after. While it calls for celery, Buffalo Wings are traditionally served with carrots as well, so no reason why you couldn’t add shredded carrots with the celery if you want to up your veggie intake.
Also, although it calls for Ranch Dressing, Bleu Cheese is the normal go-to with wings, so you could use Blue Cheese Dressing in place of the Ranch. Be creative! Go crazy! It’s Superbowl Sunday. Tomorrow you can fast.
This recipe comes from Serve It Up!, the tennis cookbook I helped Sharon Williams with as a fundraiser for Autism.
Superbowl Buffalo Chicken DipCourse: AppetizerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
4 Boneless chicken breast halves (about 2 lbs)
1/2 bottle Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
2 packages (8 oz) Cream Cheese
1 Bottle Ranch Dressing (16 oz)
1/2 cup chopped celery
8 oz shredded Monterey Jack or Sharp Cheddar Cheese or a combo
- Pre heat oven to 350. Boil chicken until fully cooked. Remove breasts and shred with two forks.
- In a 13x 9 x2″ dish, combine the shredded chicken with the bottle of hot sauce, spreading to form an even layer.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream cheese and ranch dressing, stirring until fully combined.
- Pour cream cheese mixture over the chicken to form a second layer.
- Sprinkle chopped celery over the top and bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle shredded cheese over the top and bake uncovered for another 15 to 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly, but not browned.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Serve with tortilla Chips, Fritos or celery sticks.
- You can substitute chicken thighs for the breast.
Up Next: Bring Me my Flowers While I’m Alive